Do you have time to spare? Have you thought about volunteering? Why not get involved with the local community or help preserve our rich heritage by joining our volunteer team at Wheal Martyn.
Over 50 volunteers support the small staff team all year round. It is their support and enthusiasm that helps to make Wheal Martyn such a wonderful place to visit. Without them, the museum would not be able to achieve the wonderful work that it does to preserve and protect our vast collection of objects, archive and buildings.
There are so many ways to contribute, whatever your interest; opportunities to work in the grounds and museum; support out staff in the offices with admin; help with publicity and marketing; fundraising or organising and helping out at events.
Volunteers come from near and far, have a wide range skills and interests and are aged from 16 to 85. A museum background or strong interested in industrial heritage is by no means essential – all you need is enthusiasm and a willingness to get stuck in.
Learn new skills, pass on knowledge and keep traditions alive; gain confidence and skills for work; feel valued and active.
Be part of a large, friendly team. Volunteering is flexible, give as much or as little time as suits you, contribute to a range of areas or focus just on one.
- +WAYS YOU CAN VOLUNTEER
“Volunteering provides a fantastic opportunity to mix with people and keep yourself engaged with other”
• Work with our learning team to engage, encourage and inspire young visitors
• Work with our outdoors team to care for the environment and landscape
• Gain valuable hands-on experience and skills throughout a variety of museum roles
• Work in public facing roles that help us engage our visitors with history, helping us create an unforgettable experience for our visitors
• Work directly on our unique collections and projects making our objects and knowledge accessible to a wider audience
- +VOLUNTEERS ROLES
Current roles available:
Click on a role more information.
Just some of the roles we offer:
• PUBLIC FACING – Welcoming visitors, Tour Guide, carrying out visitor surveys, Admissions Assistant, Gift Shop Assistant, attending external events,
• MUSEUM – collection recording, hands on conservation
• EDUCATIONAL – workshop facilitator, craft activities
• GROUNDS AND BUILDINGS – gardening, maintenance tasks, painting and decorating, vegetation clearance, conservation
• GENERAL – photography, social media, writing press releases, maintaining shop displays
- +FIND OUT MORE
- +HOW DO I BECOME A VOLUNTEER?
“I would definitely recommend volunteering. It helps build confidence, social skills and gives you self-satisfaction”
To have an informal chat to discuss volunteering opportunities please contact Sue Ford, Museum Manager
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: 01726 850362
Meet Our Volunteers
Click to read more about our Wheal Martyn volunteers.