26 ACRES OF OUTDOOR AND INDOOR DISCOVERY!
Everyone can enjoy a great day out at Wheal Martyn Clay Works in Cornwall … even your dog.
Situated in the heart of Cornwall, Wheal Martyn is the perfect attraction to visit in Cornwall whatever the weather. Discover stories and tales from the industry which shaped the landscape and lives of people in mid-Cornwall. Enjoy the unique and historic Wheal Martyn at your own pace. Follow a map or follow your nose and see what you can find – including ;
– The Settling Tanks – these rather curious and very beautiful settling pools played a very important role in the clay industry, today they’re still very beautiful and also home to a newt or two!
– The Waterwheels – discover how these giant feats of engineering helped in mining the clay.
– The Crib Hut – see if you can find where the workers used to eat their crib … and find out what crib means!
– The Wagon Huts – Wheal Martyn is home to beautiful vintage vehicles.
– Pit View – follow a woodland walk to the stunning Pit View overlooking modern machines in action in the working clay pit.
– Children’s adventure trail – get active on the outdoor adventure trail through the woods.
– Flat Rod Tunnel – can you squeeze yourself through the long tunnel?
– Nature trails – plenty of scope to reach your daily step count!
– Indoor discovery centre – with interactive displays.
– and much, much more!
There’s so much to discover and explore … and after all that fresh air enjoy a pit stop in the café where we serve homemade lunches, cakes and cream teas.
Open daily from 10.00am.